The Land for St Joseph’s was purchased in 1923 and the foundation stone was laid
on 23rd September that same year. The church was opened in 1924 and the first resident
priest was Fr Lonergan.
The Parish was officially formed in 1929, the first parish priest was Fr. Roche.
In 1934 the Sisters of Charity return to the parish and start a school at the Woodlands.
During the War years and into the sixties, Burtonwood American Air Base, the largest
American Airbase in Europe was on the borderline of the parish, now it is transformed
into a new urban village - Chapelford - the new properties fall within St Joseph’s
In 1963 the church was extended by putting on the west Transept, and St Joseph's
primary school was opened. The Sisters of Charity moved to a new convent in Larch
In 1981 the church was further extended by putting on the east Transept.
In 1996 the Sisters of Charity moved to Westbrook as the Parish boundaries continued
In 1998 the church celebrated the 75th anniversary of the laying of the foundation
stone of the church and in 2004 the church was completely refurbished and extended.
It was officially opened and consecrated by Archbishop Patrick Kelly on 30th April